Monday, February 16, 2009

Made for Walking

I have had a shoe buying streak recently. I am not sure what it is, but I am happy to forgo new shirts and pants for a nice pair of shoes. Some were bought out of necessity, others not so much.... I have ridiculously large feet. It is a horrible, horrible curse that I would not wish on anyone, but I always remind myself that as a person of 5'10" it is unreasonable to wish for size 6 feet. I would fall down all the time, but at least I wouldn't have the depressing shoe shopping experiences I have. I was recently told at Dillards during a trip to buy one of the pairs of shoes I am going to comment on that they only get ONE size 10 shoe in each style. That means that my years of agonizing over whether or not I should buy that pair, even if they are not something I really need, have been totally justified because the likelihood that they will be there when I come back after convincing myself I REALLY need them is very slim. I knew there was a method to my madness! I also do this thing with shoes where once I find a pair that I love I wear them exclusively until they fall apart instead of spreading out the wear across the hundreds f other pairs I have. Ok, not hundreds, but enough to satisfy most people. So here are three pairs of shoes I recently purchased, along with the justification behind each...

Red Canvas TOMS



I have had my sights set on a pair of TOMS for a while now but I felt that I needed to wait until I saw them in real life in order to make a final decision as to whether or not I wanted them. They are what I would consider expensive for a pair of non-leather shoes, although you are really buying two pairs because TOMS matches every pair purchased with a pair of shoes to a child who has never had shoes before. Then my friend Jessica (I should have know, Jessica is my hippie soul mate) came into work wearing a super cute olive green pair, and I really liked them. The main thing I was nervous about was if the soles were sturdy or if they had any support at all inside. They kid of look like house slippers, so I think my concerns were valid. It turns out that their soles are legit and the footbed is actually very soft leather with a medium amount of arch support sewn in. I know this means I just admitted they are not vegetarian, but f that bothers you you should probably quit reading this post now. Anyway, I originally ordered a 10 because it said order true to size, but they were too small when I got them so I sent them back for an 11 which fits perfectly. I got the 11s back on Wednesday and I have worn them Thursday and Friday in mildly cold weather with great results. Jen calls them my psycho shoes because they look like the shoes people are given who might harm themselves with buckles or laces, but I really like them and would recommend them for sure.


Brown Antonio Melani Flats



So remember when I was talking about my problem of buying a pair of shoes and loving them so much I wear them out? Well, this is what has happened to my pair of brown Antonio Melani flats I bought a little over a year ago. I LOVE them. I wore them practically every day until the sole is now worn down to a thin wafer and is coming unglued from the toe back to the middle of my foot. They don't look that bad from the top, but people who don't love them as much as me, namely my boss, think they look shabby. The only bad thing about them is that they did not have a leather interior, and actually thinking back I doubt they had any leather at all on them except maybe the patent toe, but the manmade material insides made my feet stink. So a few weeks ago I made my way to Dillards to see if I could find a suitable replacement, and I ended up ordering another pair of Antonio Melani's (I had to order them because they didn't have that one size 10 left! This is the trip where that revelation occurred). The are not exactly like my old ones; I think they are slightly better made and are more comfortable, although I am not as crazy about the overall style. However, I took them out of the box after they were delivered, put them on to discover a perfect fit, and walked out the door with David to the grocery store. I carried my other ones around with me for like a week after I started wearing the new ones just in case they decided to suddenly give me blisters and I would have to run back to the others asking for forgiveness, but that has not happened yet. I haven't worn my old ones since.


New Balance Women's W595 Sneaker



In a few months my mom and I are going to Germany. I am VERY excited because I have not been back since we left when I was 7. My sister and my mom went two years ago as my sister's graduation present, and my mom and dad went last year, so now it is my turn. We just recently bought our tickets, and my new passport came in the mail, so legally I am all set to go. I have been schooled by my mom in what I am allowed to pack so I can start preparing myself and anally purchasing small tubes of toothpaste and hand sanitizer months in advance, but there are actually two essentials for the trip that I needed to purchase. One is a jacket, and the other is a pair of shoes. I am waiting to buy the jacket from Land's End until maybe it goes on sale a little, but I wanted to go ahead and buy the shoes now so I could break them in. For a long time I wanted a pair of Merrill hiking-type Mary Janes, but decided I really just need a good pair of sneakers that I find attractive and comfortable. I had a pair of New Balances in high school that I have worn out a la my brown flats above, and I replaced them with a big ugly pair of Nikes when I went to college. I hate the Nikes, and I don't even remember what possessed me to buy them as opposed to another pair of New Balance, but that is what happened. I bought the W595s a couple of weeks ago and instantly loved their look. They are very stiff which makes me glad I bought them this far in advance, so it remains to be seen how they will wear in. I think I am going to be really happy I bought sneakers that I can wear with socks once all the walking and hiking in potentially cold weather starts.

So there ya go! Jen and I went to see Confessions of a Shopaholic and we are both convinced our shopping habits are nothing now, and at least we buy attractive clothes as opposed to the total train wrecks in that movie....

No comments: