Monday, July 21, 2008

A Beautifully Crafted, Supple, Durable Dilemma

As has been established, I am now a vegetarian.  I have been a vegetarian for one month tomorrow, and it is going smashingly.  I have more energy than normal and just feel good in general.  What I have come to realize over the past month is that giving up the meat was the easy part.  The part that is going to kick me in the ass is living without wonderful, beautiful, soft, hypocritical leather.  I L-O-V-E LEATHER.  Unlike my past food intake, I have the evidence of my former lifestyle all around me in the form of wallets, car seats (It must have taken an entire cow to cover the inside of that car.  Sorry Bessie!), planners, PURSES, watches belts and most importantly, shoes.  And it is not even the having the leather that bothers me, it is the not being able to purchase leather anymore that is sad to me.  It is the best feeling in the whole wide world to go into a beautiful store and pick out a beautiful, well-made purse that you know is going to last you forever, and drop that credit card like a ton of bricks on the counter.  Is that materialistic?  Yep.  Is it only that good if the purse is Italian-tanned, tumbled leather?  Absolutely.  

OK, so where is all this pent-up leather-loving coming from, you might ask?  It has been pointed out to me on several occasions that I am being a hypocrite if I choose to continue buying leather products and wearing leather now that I am a vegetarian and claiming that part of the reason I became a vegetarian is for the animals.  Well, people, it is partly for the animals, so I am going to have to suck it up, huh?  I can't do anything about the things I have bought in the past, and I refuse to throw away literally thousands of dollars of beautiful, hand-picked things because of a lifestyle change.  I have chosen to severely limit my leather purchases in the future, with the main exception being my shoes.  I have horrific feet problems -- of course they are enormous, fallen arches, horrible cramping, etc. -- so it is really impractical to never buy a pair of Borns again, for example.  Here is the thing.  My feeling is that I do not have to have meat in my diet to be the healthiest I can be, and in fact eliminating it might make me more healthy, but in order to justify spending money on items like high-quality purses and shoes that are investments and will last a very long time, leather is the best quality material available.  Therefore, if you see me out in public with my enormous red leather purse, it is not necessary to point out to me that it was, indeed, made out of a cow.  I know.  Thanks.  I don't need to justify all of this, it is just something that I have been asked several times, especially by people who know my affinity for shopping, so I just wanted to explain where I am at.

ANYWAY, let it be known that I have discovered Death Cab for Cutie.  They are pretty amazing.  I hate their name and I feel like a total dweeb saying it, but their music is so ethereal; deep yet simple, I wish I had not resisted them for so long.  I bought Transatlanticism first, and I recently bought Plans.  My favorites so far are We Looked Like Giants, Passenger Seat, Someday You Will be Loved, and I Will Follow You into the Dark.  Granted, I have only listened to Plans once through, but those are my initial feelings.  The thing is, I ALWAYS find my self strangely attracted to weird guys in weird bands who make weird music.  I have an emo disease of some kind.  I had to say that to preface my next new music love.  PLEASE DON'T DISOWN ME AS A FRIEND!  It's.....Metro Station!  Miley Cyrus's older brother's band!! AHH!  I simply can't help myself.  It is just my thing.  The way he looks has facilitated my like for their music.  It is just a surface love, not a deep love like Coheed or anything.  Their song on the radio is Shake Shake, which you might know.  



I can't embarrass myself any further.  Ta ta for now:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As always I enjoy reading your thoughts. As far as the vegitarian thing goes. You don't need to explain yourself to every Tom or Dick on the street. It's your choice what you do, and it's not like you are out throwing paint on fur coats, and wearing Leather yourself. Think of all the animals you are SAVING by at least not eatting it. ROFL
I guess I never thought about leather seats in my car, as being a few dead animals. Really makes me feel differently about them. Sheesh, thank you for that little insight.
As far as your music tastes. *really rolling on the floor at this one* they are very different. But I mostly listen to Christian. ;o) I will say that band does look interesting. Kinda like my fasinations with Gwen Stefani...her look is just intriguing.